This bag pattern was made by request. Not long after I made the Featherweight tote bag, I made a larger bag for carrying full sized machines to workshop days. It wasn’t long before people started seeing and asking for the pattern for the bag. Since the featherweight bag had been far more popular than I’d ever guessed, I agreed to write this pattern too.
The pockets are made using an interfaced accent fabric – making the bag attractive while functional. As an added bonus, the bag will protect the outside of the case from abrasion during travel and make it safer to carry a vintage case without the risk of failure. Have you heard that it’s not safe to carry a vintage machine by the case handle? It’s true! Always with your hand under the base – or in a bag like this.
These bags also double well as shopping bags. It also fits one of my spinning wheels (Lendrum Folding) for short distance travel.
The bag is generously sized to fit a Singer Bentwood case and similar sized machines. It’s also easily customized to fit other machines by shortening or lengthening the fabric dimensions.
The pattern itself contains 19 pages of detail with 29 photographs to help you along the way.
BASIC SKILLS NECESSARY
- Follow a pattern
- Measure, Mark and cut accurately
- Use a rotary cutter, ruler and cutting mat
- Use a hump jumper or similar
Recommended with this pattern
- Chalk pencil or other marking tool suitable for your fabric color choices
- Optional: 1/2″ double fold bias tape to cover exposed inside seams / fabric for second smaller outside pockets / store bought padded handles for the webbing or fabric to make them / fabric and Coroplast (or 1/8″ plywood or similar) to make base for bottom of bag / additional fabric and zipper to make zippered closure for bag.
- A properly working sewing machine with tension set appropriately
- Interfacing for Accent fabrics – yardage will depend on how many pockets are built
- Rotary Cutter, Mat, and a long ruler – 6″x24″ or similar
- Hump Jumper
You are purchasing a pattern to make the Vintage Sewing Machine Tote Bag. Sewing machine not included. Finished Tote Bag is not included – you will make your own.
Note: this is the same pattern I’ve posted on Craftsy. If you have that one, you don’t need this one.
Please note, due to the very copy-able nature of pdf patterns, there are no refunds. If you have trouble downloading, please contact me and I will make sure you get your order.